Are There Any Rules Or Regulations I Need To Know About Before Entering The Park? 

We want all of our visitors to safely enjoy their time in the parks. Please remember that alcohol is prohibited in all Genesee County Parks. Please keep your dog on a six foot or shorter leash and clean up after them. Please take only pictures and leave only footprints while in the parks. We want to preserve their beauty for generations to come.

For a full list and description of all park rules, please download a copy below.

park rules cover

Are Dogs Permitted In The Parks?

Yes, dogs are permitted in the Parks; they must remain on a leash, no more than 6ft in length, at all times. Dogs and pets are NOT permitted within For-Mar Nature Preserve & Arboretum.  Dogs and pets are NOT allowed on beaches or in designated swim areas.  Dogs are permitted within Crossroads Village, but are not permitted in any of the buildings, on the Huckleberry Railroad or on the Genesee Belle. Flushing County Park and Hogbacks Area has an off leash dog-friendly area that’s perfect for training your favorite four-legged friend.

More FAQ

How Many Parks Are In The Genesee County Parks System?

There are 11,000 acres of woods, rivers, lakes, trails, beaches and campgrounds within the Genesee County Parks system.  We currently maintain 25 parks and an additional 15 fishing sites.  We also maintain parts of the Flint River Trail system and park areas surrounding it.

Do I Need A Park Pass?

The Genesee County Parks do not require a special pass or vehicle permit.  However, a daily or annual parking pass must be purchased to park and/or launch a boat at Bluegill Boat Launch and Walleye Pike Boat Launch, April through Labor Day.  The Mounds ORV area also requires a daily or annual pass. Crossroads Village & Huckleberry Railroad requires tickets that can be purchased in advance or at the gate.

Where Can I Find Park Maps?

Park maps can be found on our website under the Maps section or in our administration office at 5045 Stanley Rd, Flint, MI, 48506, For-Mar Nature Preserve & Arboretum Visitor’s Center or at select toll booths and parks.

How Do I Make Reservations For Camping/Lodging?

You can make a reservation online through our website reservations system, over the phone by calling reservations at 810.736.7100, ext. 6 or 800.648.7275, ext. 6 between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday or in person at our administration office during those same hours.

Are Walking And Hiking Trails Open Year Round?

Yes, walking and hiking trails are open year round.  Access to some park areas may be limited due to preventative maintenance or inclement weather. 

Can I Drive Off-Road At Any Of The Genesee County Parks?

You may only drive vehicles off-road within the Mounds off Road Vehicle Area. Golf Carts are not allowed in any park.  Motorized vehicles are not allowed on any park trails, except the Mounds.

Is Hunting Allowed At Genesee County Parks?

Yes, hunting is allowed in some Parks on a limited basis. Go here for more information.

Can I Smoke At Genesee County Parks?

Yes smoking is allowed in all Genesee County Parks with the following exceptions:

  • Smoking is only allowed in two designated smoking areas within Crossroads Village
  • No smoking or vapes products are allowed within For-Mar Nature Preserve & Arboretum

Is There Wi-Fi At Genesee County Parks?

No there is no Wi-Fi in most Genesee County Parks. 

How Close Can I Get To The Wildlife In The Parks?

Remember that animals that you see within the Genesee County Parks are wild animals and should be treated with the proper caution.  Please do not approach or touch wild animals or disturb nests or animal habitats.

Do Rangers Respond To Injured Wildlife?

Park Rangers are not licensed or trained to rescue wildlife. If you discover injured wildlife on Parks property you may call 911 requesting a Park Ranger. Park Rangers will not respond to injured wildlife off of Parks property. Please search the internet for a Wildlife Rescue nearest your location.

How Do I Report A Crime Or Suspicious Situation?

Call 911 and they will dispatch a Park Ranger.

Are Genesee County Park Rangers Also Police Officers?

Yes, all Park Rangers are licensed State of Michigan Police Officers, having full arrest powers on and off Parks property. The Park Ranger Division is a full–service law enforcement agency. The Ranger Division currently consists of a Chief, Detectives, and 40 Full-time and Seasonal Rangers. The Park Rangers enforce all laws including Federal, State, Marine and local ordinances. Park Rangers are tasked with investigating all criminal complaints that occur on Parks property.

Can I Carry A Concealed Pistol With A Valid Permit?

Yes, unless you are attending an event that requires an entrance fee. You are not allowed to carry a weapon at Crossroads Village or the Mounds ORV Park. 

What Are Park Hours?

Unless otherwise posted all Parks are open from 8:00 AM until sunset, 365 days a year. Non-gated Fishing areas are open 24 hours, 365 days a year.

Can I Snowmobile In The Parks?

Yes, when the ground IS frozen, and a least three inches of snow is on the ground you are allowed to snowmobile in the following Parks only:
Linden, Bluegill, Buell Lake, E.A. Cummings, Richfield, Goldenrod and Walleye Boat Ramp

Can I Ride My Horses In The Parks?

Yes, in the following Parks only;

  • Elba Equestrian
  • E.A. Cummings
  • Richfield
  • Hogback Area

Can I Camp In The Parks?

Yes, in the following Parks only with a paid reservation:

  • Wolverine
  • E.A. Cummings
  • Elba Equestrian

How Do I Obtain A Copy Of A Police Report, Accident Report Or Incident Report?

Only the Chief Ranger can authorize the release of police reports. Arrangements must be made through the Chief Ranger or Parks detective to obtain a copy of any police report(s).

How Much Do The Parks Rangers Charge For Reports?

Police/Incident Report $15.00 (Basic)

Where Can The Police Reports Be Picked Up/Paid For?

Reports can be picked up at the Genesee County Parks Administrative Building located at 5045 Stanley Rd. Flint, MI 48506. Reports can be picked up/paid for Monday through Friday from 8am until 4:30pm (Excluding Holidays).

What Are The Requirements For Entering The Mounds Orv Park?

  • You must have either a daily or seasonal Mounds ORV pass.
  • You must have a State of Michigan ORV sticker.

Both the Mounds Pass and State of Michigan ORV Sticker can be purchased at the Mounds ORV Park.
For additional information on the Mounds ORV Park including rules and specific requirements or hours of operation, go to The Mounds page.